An electric shortage in a penthouse hot tub of the Summerwinds condominiums west tower looked like a towering inferno according to Kevin Rudzki who was one of the first individuals on scene.
At 7:34 p.m. on Nov. 23, the Navarre Beach Fire Department reserve engine manned with two fire fighters responded to the call according to NBFD Fire Chief Mike Howard. Howard and his crew were working a fire at the Holley landfill located at Five Forks Road when the call came in.
According to the incident report, it was determined that the fire was caused when a hose was placed in the hot tub to fill it and left unattended. Water seeped into the electrical control panel, shorting the wire and causing a fire to start according to the report. Andrea McDermott, Summerwinds West manager said the unit was rented at the time of the fire. She reported that the damage was confined to the balcony. The incident report estimated about $60,000 worth of damage.
For the complete story, see the Nov. 29 issue of Navarre Press or subscribe online.