Santa Rosa County will receive more than $1.7 million in federal funding for the repair of 4.1 miles of damage along Navarre Beach from Tropical Storm Debby.
U.S Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency announced March 26 that a federal grant will be given to Florida associated with the storm.
Navarre Beach went from being considered a natural beach to an engineered beach after a series of hurricanes in the late 1990s, and in 2005 after Hurricane Ivan struck a year earlier.
In 2006, the beach was renourished at a cost of about $18.6 million. The state covered about 62 percent of the cost, with beach residents paying about 90 percent of the balance, and the county paying the remaining 10 percent.
During a Jan. 24 Board of County Commission meeting, Michael Walther of Coastal Technology Corporation told the commissioners the overall cost for the next complete renourishment, scheduled to begin in 2014, would cost about $10 million.
FEMA estimated that total project cost for the 4.1 miles of beach will be about $2.3 million. The FEMA grant will cover 75 percent of that estimated cost.
To read the rest of this article - buy this week's issue of Navarre Press or subscribe online.