A forest fire set by unattended burning yard waste sparked a half-acre fire in the 9400 block of Bone Bluff Drive in Navarre on Jan 15.
Craig McMullan of Navarre was the first to notice the fire, and called 911 before picking up a garden hose in an attempt to control the flames that were encroaching on the nearby homes.
“We weren’t really sure what was going on,” said McMullan, “then I saw all the ashes and knew. We saw really big flames and knew it was really going.”
Holley Navarre Fire Department Engines 43 and 45 responded to the fire and successfully put it out before the flames reached any homes. However, the yard waste caught fire to the densely packed wooded area and burned back nearly 50 feet into the woods.
For more on this story, see the Jan. 19 issue of the Navarre Press.